Pages

11 August 2009

Chicks, Compost Tea & Eggs.

Those baby chicks are 5 weeks old today.
They are feathery, long legged, independently eating and drinking and starting to do some crazy stunts like flying up to perch on the side of their fence.

At night they go into their house by themselves and all we have to do is close the door. Liam fitted their perches into their house today so they can start to roost while they sleep.

Bren and Liam are playing around with this old cheese making vat today. It has been sitting around at our neighbour's house until recently when Bren asked if he could have it.

He has plans to make it into a compost tea brewer as we have outgrown our old, badly designed one. The fact that this one is open will make it easier to clean and therefore grow the good bacteria and exclude the bad.

They filled it up with water and it leaks so now they using food dye to try and find the leak.

While they are playing around I'm collecting the eggs.



We have roll away egg boxes fitted to all our chook houses. This means that as soon as a hen gets up to leave the nest after laying her egg, the egg rolls down out of her reach. This makes it easier for us when collecting the eggs and keeps the eggs cleaner because the chooks can't peck at them or poo on them.

4 comments:

Tammy said...

Oh Yum fresh eggs! I was able to buy organic eggs for a short while here ( not available ATM ) and the thing that struck me when I opened the box was the gorgeous array of colour variation! they are lovely!

WriterBee said...

Typical men! Playing around while you have to do all the work!

Leonie Guld said...

I love the chicken shots, its like they are gangly teenagers, when their feet are to big for their bodies.
that roll away system looks fantastic. I have been googling lots of home made ideas. So....off to the work shop for me. Thanks.

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

It's amazing to read and learn all about the fine details of your farm.

I hope you are well. My computer crashed and burned recently so I lost the last email you sent me.